Nature Park / 189.231 acres
The park is open during daylight hours.
About the Park
Grant Park is an 189-acre natural area. Trails in the park lead along creeks and through meadow, forest, prairie and wetland habitats. The trails are of varying difficulty; some follow ridgelines or bottomlands, while others climb fairly steep hills. Two fire rings, located at the Chimneys and behind the Grant Nature Center, are available for reservations. Campfires are allowed by permit only. For the safety of park visitors, bicycles are not permitted on the trails and all pets must be on a leash. Parking is available at Normandy Elementary School on Normandy Ridge Road, Hadley Watts Middle School on McEwen Road, and at Kennard Nature Nook on McEwen Road. Play equipment is located at the Grant's Trail entrance to the park.
Drinking Fountain (at Kennard Nature Nook) (off November-March)
Fire Circles (2)
Grill - Chimneys area
Mark Kreusch Nature Playce - natural play area
Owlexander's Hoot Route Nature Literature Trail
Kennard Nature Nook
Play Equipment - Grant's Trail entrance
Portable Restroom (Normandy Ridge entrance)
Restroom (Kennard Nature Nook)
When the Park District was formed in 1959, the commissioners had their eye on the area surrounding Hole's Creek as a nature reserve.
The horseshoe-shape flow of the creek ran through Normandy Farms, formerly the country estate of Richard H. Grant, Sr. When Grant died in 1957 the family chose to divide the estate into parcels. They are Normandy United Methodist Church in the mansion, Grant Park, Normandy Elementary School, Grant Life Nature Center and residential housing.
In 1963, a zoning agreement stated that the title for this 45-acre nature area that the Park District was interested in would be given to the Washington Township trustees. The trustees then assigned their rights to the Park District.
Over the years, the park grew as a result of a number of open space transfers and purchases.
In 1966, the Park District decided that the forest and field areas within the original park space along the horseshoe bend should be added to the park in order to preserve the entire significant, unique and beautiful natural area forever. A study made by the Miami Valley Regional Planning commission concluded it should all be acquired by the Park District and preserved at all costs. The report also suggested acquiring the adjacent agricultural land to the south for a buffer zone.
The Park District also wanted to connect the park to McEwen Road on the west. A 12-acre open space transfer acquisition resulted in a 1/3 mile Hole's Creek westward extension in 1974.
In 1993, the Township Trustees, which owned four acres on McEwen Road, and the Park District, which owned approximately the same amount of land next to the Rec Center on Miamisburg-Centerville Road, traded properties. Ohio said the law did not allow such a swap, but Bob Corbin, state representative got the law changed and the frontage was acquired for the Park District and the Rec Center received land it needed.
Note: History courtesy of Pat Aldrich, Centerville-Washington History