About the Park
Grant Park is a 189-acre natural area. Trails in the park lead along creeks
and through meadow, forest, prairie, and wetland habitats. The trails are of
varying difficulty; some follow ridgelines or bottomlands, while others
climb fairly steep hills. Two fire rings, located at the Chimneys and behind
the Grant Nature Center, are available for reservations. Campfires are
allowed by permit only. For the safety of park visitors, bicycles are not
permitted on the trails and all pets must be on a leash. Parking is
available at Normandy Elementary School on Normandy Ridge Road, Hadley Watts
Middle School on McEwen Road, and at Kennard Nature Nook on McEwen Road. Play
equipment is located at the Grant's Trail entrance to the park.
- Drinking Fountain (Nature Nook) (off November-March)
- Fire Circles (2)
- Grill - Chimneys area
- Hiking Trails
- Mark Kreusch
Nature Playce - Natural play area
Owlexander's Hoot Route
- Nature Literature Trail
- Kennard Nature Nook - Reservation Guidelines
- Parking Lot
- Picnic Tables
- Play Equipment - Grant's Trail entrance
- Portable Restroom (Normandy Ridge entrance)
- Restroom (Nature Nook)
- Sled Hills
When the Park District was formed in 1959, the commissioners had their
eye on the area surrounding Hole's Creek as a nature reserve.
horseshoe-shape flow of the creek ran through Normandy Farms, formerly the
country estate of Richard H. Grant, Sr. When Grant died in 1957 the family
chose to divide the estate into parcels. They are Normandy United Methodist
Church in the mansion, Grant Park, Normandy Elementary School, Grant Life
Nature Center, and residential housing.
In 1963, a zoning agreement
stated that the title for this 45-acre nature area that the Park District
was interested in would be given to the Washington Township trustees. The
trustees then assigned their rights to the Park District.
years, the park grew as a result of a number of open space transfers and
In 1966, the Park District decided that the forest and field areas
within the original park space along the horseshoe bend should be added to
the park in order to preserve the entire significant, unique, and beautiful
natural area forever. A study made by the Miami Valley Regional Planning
commission concluded it should all be acquired by the Park District and
preserved at all costs. The report also suggested acquiring the adjacent
agricultural land to the south for a buffer zone.
The Park District
also wanted to connect the park to McEwen Road on the west. A 12-acre open
space transfer acquisition resulted in a 1/3 mile Hole's Creek westward
extension in 1974.
In 1993, the Township Trustees, which owned four
acres on McEwen Road, and the Park District, which owned approximately the
same amount of land next to the Rec Center on Miamisburg-Centerville Road,
traded properties. Ohio said the law did not allow such a swap, but Bob
Corbin, state representative got the law changed and the frontage was
acquired for the Park District and the Rec Center received land it needed.
Note: History courtesy of Pat
Centerville-Washington Township Historical
View additional photos of the parks