Your Centerville-Washington Park Board is serious about providing the park and recreation opportunities you want. In 2015, a large sampling of residents provided us with lots of great feedback. Then in late 2016, we conducted another survey to get more of your ideas and opinions. We supplemented the survey with citizen interviews, focus groups and public meetings. Thank you to everyone who participated!
We would like to share the many improvements that are a direct result of your input. So, every two weeks for the remainder of the year we will be posting a short message about what’s been added, fixed, improved or expanded to meet your requests!
Residents said, “We would like more of every type of program offered.”
Yes, it’s true. In every program category, from environmental to fitness; from adult crafting to programs for special needs, people emphatically requested we offer more! CWPD’s program staff jumped on the assignment. Program offerings from 2015 to 2017 have increased by 56%, with 172 brand new programs! And, you have jumped on the opportunity — 1,000 more people signed up for programs in 2016 than did in 2015. Projections show an additional 1,000 participants in 2017!
Here is a sampling of programs introduced in response to residents’ request for more:
- Youth Summer Camps: Before and after care for Hidden Meadows Day Camp, an additional week of Adventure Camp, Sky Hawks and Jump Start Sports Camps, Ooey Gooey Park Patooey Camp, Energy Exploration STEM Camp, Kid’s Culinary Concoctions Camp
- Preschool Programs: Preschool Play Yard, Pumpkins & PJs and Teddy Bear Hibernation
- Children’s Programs: Harry Potter in the Park, Mad Science University and MusicMania
- Family Programs: Twenty new family events including Amazing Race, Family Adventure Day and Walk off the Wobble!
- Adult Programs: Adult Crafting Club, Booked for Lunch book club, Chirp ‘n Chatter birdwatching group, Glass fusing and Meditation
- Fitness Programs: Couch to 5K, Tai Chi for Wellness, Wake Up Workout and Yoga in the Park
… and many, many more new programs are on the way — including 15 new programs coming this fall!
Finally, you expressed a desire to see more weekend and evening programs for those who work during the day. We hear you! We have added several evening versions of popular programs, like Trail Trekking and Preschool Nature Series. We have also expanded our Saturday and Sunday opportunities. In fact, this fall check out Family Nature Play events on Saturdays; Grandparents’ Day Brunch on Sunday, September 10; the #CWPDrocks children’s program Perfect Pumpkins on Saturday, September 30; and, the Turkey Trek Family 5K on Saturday, November 18!
We will continue to look for new opportunities to expand Centerville-Washington Park District’s program offerings. Please continue to send us your comments and suggestions!